Somehow, once again, the doctors and nurses put me back together and I was ready to put their good work to a meaningful project, turning my son into a gracious and loving creature before that cart comes back to me. He deserves it and so does the rest of this great big beautiful world.
But where do I start now that they have set me free. How about spoiling the life out of him? Well that only works for a little while, I know this because I tested it out several times. Soon they get to a "I can't get enough" stage and then my life is trapped trying to keep up with the 'needs' of a brat. Something more lasting seems necessary.
Finally it just came to me, my favorite moments as a mother are when we have our little talks. Something triggers him when we are driving in a car, or sitting still (only for a minute) and he'll suddenly ask me the deepest questions. Sometimes I simply do not have an answer, other times we get to the center with debates of what he thinks and what I believe. Always in the end we learn something about each other. I usually get a great story to share with my family and friends, and he gets more information about his mother that might may or may not be good to know.
With any luck, I will be around for many years. I will be able to spoil my grandchildren and see mine get to old to want to know anything from me anymore, but until I get that in a written contract signed by God, I will leave this blog. I hope he finds it when he is older and sees the humor, knows it's the best I can do, and fills his heart with the love of a mother, his mother.

I love you Terri, and hope you are around long enough to see us racing our wheelchairs in whatever nursing home we finally end up in when we're 90. For goodness sakes, who else is going to get into trouble like that with me??
ReplyDelete